H O M E
Black-Eyed Susan Awards
Mae I. Graham School Library of the Year Award - 2007
MASL Memorial Fund
P. O. Box 21127
Baltimore, MD 21228
1. Coordinate the program through the library media specialist or other program coordinator.
2. Obtain the support and authorization of the principal.
3. Provide information about participation in the awards program to teachers, students, and parents.
4. Have available a reasonable selection of the nominated books to provide children as broad a choice as possible.
5. To participate, students must read or have read to them a minimum of 8 of the 15 picture books nominated. Based on the premise that picture books are for everybody, there are no grade level restrictions.
6. To participate in Grades 4 through 6, students must read or have read to them a minimum of three of the nominated books.
7. To participate in Grades 6 through 9, students must read or have read to them, a minimum of three of the nominated books.
8. To participate at the high school level, students should read a minimum of three of the nominated books.
9. All grades do not have to participate. The coordinator makes that decision in cooperation with teachers and administrators. The time of year in which the program functions is up to each individual school. Older students may read from early in the school year until voting time; younger students do best if reading is done the last few months before voting.
10. Each child has one vote in each of the categories. Many coordinators have used charts or graphs and bulletin board displays to shre the results of the program in their schools.
11. Give the total votes for each book read on the final Tally and Voting Sheet. Complete the requested information and send to MEMO by April 25 this year.
12. List the books read in alphabetical order by the author's last name, include the number of votes for each, and send to:
Black-Eyed Susan Book Awards Committee
P.O. Box 21127, Baltimore, MD 21228
Thank you for participating in the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Awards Program.
Nominations for consideration are welcome and should be sent to the committee by October 1 for consideration. Send nominations either to the address listed above or to the committee chair listed below.
For additonal information contact , Chair